Health insurance is a type of insurance that covers medical expenses that arise due to an illness. These expenses could be related to hospitalization costs, cost of medicines, or doctor consultation fees.
No one plans to fall ill or get hurt, but a serious illness can strike anyone at any time. The cost of treating the illness can cause severe financial strain on the savings you have accumulated over time.
Open enrollment is a period of time each year when you can sign up for health insurance or change your plan (if your plan is provided by an employer, open enrollment is also an opportunity to disenroll if you no longer want the coverage). If you don't sign up for health insurance during the open enrollment, you probably can't sign up for health insurance until the next open enrollment period, unless you experience a qualifying event.
10 Essential Health Benefits from Obamacare
- Ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (Mental health)
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services
- Pediatric services